F-1 Visa and Optional Practical Training

Non-U.S. students can qualify for an F-1 Visa to study at the full range of U.S. educational institutions, from major universities to specialized art and film schools.


These students enliven and energize the U.S. with their presence, their achievements, and their creativity.


Many of these students, at the conclusion of their course of study, may qualify for one to three years of employment authorization in their field of study, called Optional Practical Training or OPT.


While the educational institutions typically handle the F-1 and OPT application processes, it is important that F-1 Visa students who desire to remain in the U.S. after OPT, consult with a qualified lawyer to outline the strategies necessary to turn OPT into an appropriate visa category (like the O-1, H-1B or E-2 Visas) that would permit you to remain and work in the U.S.


We celebrate the foreign students who invigorate academic life in New York and throughout the United States.


We have guided dozens of F-1 students on how to utilize OPT as a springboard to achieve their personal dreams and career goals. We look forward to meeting with you to discuss your options and aspirations.

Questions? Contact us today.

Contact Us

Dyer Harris LLP

250 West 57th Street, Suite 1814

New York, New York 10107

T (212) 599-2396 • F (212) 214-0927 •

© 2020 Dyer Harris LLP. Attorney Advertising. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. For full Disclaimer information, click here.

  • Twitter Social Icon